Washington State Healthy Youth Survey 2021
The Washington State Healthy Youth Survey (HYS) is an effort to measure health risk behaviors that contribute to morbidity, mortality, and social problems among youth in Washington State. These behaviors include alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, and other drug use; behaviors that result in intentional and unintentional injuries (e.g., violence); dietary behaviors and physical activity; mental health; school climate; and related risk and protective factors. The 2018 administration was the sixteenth such statewide survey of Washington students and participation has been steadily increasing over time. In 2018, over 230,000 students from all 39 counties participated in HYS.
The HYS is designed to accomplish multiple goals:
- To deliver crucial information about the prevalence of major adolescent health risk behaviors to parents, the public, school officials, public health professionals, human service agencies, and policymakers.
- To identify trends and patterns in adolescent health status and risky behaviors, supporting the examination and evaluation of many different preventions, safety, and health promotion initiatives.
- To guide policy formation and improve program needs assessments of state agencies, local health jurisdictions, county prevention coordinators, community mobilization coalitions, and community public health and safety networks that serve youth.
The survey also produces an analytic dataset for use by behavioral and public health researchers and provides data to various community stakeholders for use in federal, state, local or private agency grant applications.
Participation in the survey is voluntary and the students’ answers are anonymous. Schools will communicate with families directly if they are participating in this statewide program, please contact your school for more information.
Most KSD schools will be administering the survey online this year. No privacy issues were identified in the E-survey pilot conducted in 2019. This year, schools and districts are being instructed to disable any recording, keystroke tracking, and video capture software on school-issued devices used to take the survey.
Healthy Youth Survey results from 2002 through 2018 are available now on AskHYS.
Please read the Parent and Student Notification Letter for more information about the Healthy Youth Survey.
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (English)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Spanish)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Ukrainian)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Arabic)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Chinese)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Punjabi)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Russian)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Somali)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Vietnamese)
- Parent & Youth Student Notification Letter (Cambodian)