Approved Boundary Changes
Limited Boundary Changes Approved for 2021-2022
The Kent School Board approved limited boundary changes and recommendations to be implemented in the 2021-2022 school year on February 10, 2021.
- Watch a recording of the regular meeting on February 10, 2021.
- Read the full boundary update from February 11, 2021.
- Learn more about the boundary study and see the latest updates.
The Board also approved moving forward with converting the current Kent Phoenix Academy/Kent Mountain View Academy building into a middle school to begin in the 2020-2021 school year and for the District to examine educational programming equity, alignment, and continuum of services throughout the District next school year.
All other proposed boundary changes brought forth to the community over the last several months in surveys, community meetings, and board presentations were voted down again, with no timeline of when they would be brought forth again to be discussed by the board. This means there are no current plans to move sixth-graders to middle school, to align school feeder patterns, or to adjust school boundaries to help balance enrollment outside of the schools impacted by the new elementary school.
New Boundaries for Select Elementary Schools Fall 2021
The approved boundary changes populated the new River Ridge Elementary School that opened in Fall 2021 by adjusting boundaries to seven neighboring schools in the Kent Valley and on Kent East Hill.
- East Hill Elementary
- Kent Elementary
- Meadow Ridge Elementary
- Neely-O’Brien Elementary
- Panther Lake Elementary
- Scenic Hill Elementary
- Springbrook Elementary
2020-2021 Boundary Study Timeline
- July 22, 2020: Request for proposal
- August 26, 2020: School Board awards contract to MGT Consulting
- October 1-2, 2020: Initial small-group pilot survey
- October 6, 2020: Notification to KSD community
- October 2020: Survey families and community
- November 2020: Present School Boundary Review Interim Report (PDF)
- December 2020: Hold family and community engagement meetings
- January 13, 2021: Present School Boundary Review Final Report (PDF)
- January 13, 2021: Public Hearing during the regular board meeting
- January 27, 2021: KSD Board did not approve the recommendations in the Final Boundary Review Report at the regular board meeting.
- February 10, 2021: KSD Board approved new boundaries for River Ridge Elementary and preliminary to work at the regular board meeting.
New Boundary Maps for Impacted Schools
East Hill Elementary
Meadow Ridge Elementary
Panther Lake Elementary
River Ridge Elementary (New School)
Scenic Hill Elementary