Meet President Bento
Joseph (Joe) Bento has lived in Kent since 2013 and has lived in the Seattle area since 2002. Joe is a teacher in the Renton School District and has taught Health and AP/IB Psychology for 20 years.
Joe has been involved in Safe Schools training for the last 18 years, including his work as an NEA/WEA (National Education Association/Washington Education Association) trainer on Social Justice and LGBTQ+ issues. Joe is also on the board of GLSEN Washington State, which works with educators all over the state on supporting LGBTQ+ students and in creating safer school environments for all. Joe is also on the Core Team of RECN (Rainier Educators of Color) and helps keep the annual Equity Conference. He is also active in his local union and a delegate to the MLK Labor Council.
Director Bento was interviewed and unanimously appointed by the school board to replace Leah Bowen, District 1 director, who resigned in December 2020, and has served as District 1 Director through 2021. He was officially elected to serve on the school board, representing District 1 in November 2021.
As part of the application process, Director Bento wrote about becoming a school board member to support the community and ensure all students receive an excellent education regardless of background, upbringing, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or ability.
When Joe isn't volunteering or working on Kent School Board duties, he enjoys spending time with his husband, dog and spending time on house projects.
- Chino School District, Chino CA (K-2)Gooding School District, Gooding ID (3-12)
- University of Idaho, Moscow, ID. B.S. Child, Family, and Consumer Studies and Health Education minor
- City University of Seattle, M. ED Education
- University of Washington, Nonprofit Management Certificate
- WGU Washington, Educational Leadership Certificate
- Elected from District 1 in November 2021.
- Term expires in November 2023.
- Appointed to represent District 1 in February 2021.
- Appointed term expired in November 2021.