Earn College Credit During High School

  • Classes Available at Kentwood & Local Community Colleges

    There are many different ways Kentwood students can earn college credit while attending high school.

    Advanced Placement (AP)

    Advanced Placement (AP) classes are college-level courses taught at Kentwood that prepare students to take the Advanced Placement Exam.

    Colleges will grant college credit based on the student’s exam score.

    Learn more about the AP exam and classes.

    Career & Technical Education (CTE) Tech Prep

    Students can earn college credits through specific Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes identified as Tech Prep. College credit will be awarded to students who earn the required minimum grade, which varies from class to class.

    At the end of senior year, students submit their transcripts to Green River College or Highline College to be audited for college credit earned from Tech Prep classes.

    Learn more about CTE Tech Prep classes.

    College in the High School (CHS)

    Students in grades 10-12 may take University of Washington (UW) college courses taught in year-long classes at Kentwood High School. College in the High School (CHS) classes follow the same curriculum used in UW courses.  

    Students earn college credits by successfully completing the course and registering for UW credit. Credits earned in CHS classes can be used to complete general university requirements at UW or can be transferred to other colleges and universities.

    Learn more about the cost and CHS classes.

    Running Start

    The Running Start program allows students to earn up to 15 tuition-free college credits by taking classes at any community college in Washington State. Students and families are responsible for the cost of books, class fees, and transportation.

    Learn more about Running Start.

Contact Us

Last Modified on December 1, 2020