Privacy & Data
Collecting Student Data
We take our obligations to secure data systems and protect student privacy seriously.
We collect and analyze data because it is one of the most effective ways to improve teaching and learning.
- Data tells us if students are on track for graduation or if they need additional help.
- Data tells our schools if their education programs are working.
- Data helps state and district leaders make informed decisions based on facts.
Protecting Student Privacy
The Family Educational Rights and Policy Act (FERPA) is a federal law passed in 1974 with the intent of protecting student privacy and data. Among other provisions, FERPA requires schools to get permission from a parent or eligible student (a student who is at least 18 years old or is enrolled in a college or university) before the school releases data that personally identifies that student.
Student Information Available on Skyward
The information that can be accessed online through Skyward Family Access includes directory information. Kent’s use of directory information is disclosed to parents in written form in the Annual Notices mailed to homes and on our website.
Unlike other education records that require consent before disclosure, directory information may be released unless the parent or eligible student specifically objects to disclosure. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the Kent School District to include this type of information in certain school publications, including drama, musical, or sports programs; the annual yearbook; graduation programs; or photographs on a school or District website.
The Kent School District has designated the following information as directory information:
- A student’s name.
- A student’s address, telephone listing, and email address.
- The student’s image or likeness in pictures, videotape, film, or other medium.
- The student’s date and place of birth.
- The student’s course of study.
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports.
- Height and weight of a member of an athletic team.
- Dates of attendance.
- The most recent school attended by the student.
- Degrees and awards received.